Brain Gym (educational kinesiology)
Resources we mention:
Mari Miyoshi is a Brain Integration Coach, trained in BrainGym (Education Kinesiology: The study of how movement affects learning).
Before we started recording, Mari took me through a brief set of movements to "prepare my brain to receive information." I was having a very stressful week prior to our conversation and her teaching helped reset me and have me focus a lot better.
We cover enough information to write a college paper, so here's just a few of the fun things we discuss:
- Why how much you crawled as a kid affects your cognitive abilities as an adult.
- Movement for better learning ability, memory retention, mood, and brain functioning.
- Top-down vs. Bottom-up behavior change.
- How movement can disable Fight or flight.
- Why some people need white noise to concentrate, and why kids open their mouths when they cut paper.
- The beginner's mind vs. novel experiences.
- How practices like yoga and tai chi stimulate healthy neural patterns.
- Preventing sensory overload.
- Balance development and relationship to gravity.
- How viewing computer screens too much may ruin your sense of balance.
- What the dexterity of your hands says about your brain development.
- Emotional habits as a choice.
- How most of what you "see" is based on your past experiences.
- Left brain/right brain dominance.
- Italian people.